How Expatriates Pay Taxes in China and Abroad During COVID-19? • Podcast Launch
LehmanBrown is happy to announce the launch of the first China Business Tea Break podcast where we asked Russell Brown OBE the Managing Partner of LehmanBrown to discuss “How Expatriates Pay Taxes in China and Abroad During COVID-19?”.
During the podcast, Russell Brown looks primarily at China’s current tax laws and how expats that are stuck abroad or in China should be dealing with their tax declarations. At the same time he takes a look at what the Tax Bureaus of other countries like Australia, UK and Ireland have been doing to collect taxes from individuals displaced due to COVID-19 and fit their legal criteria for paying taxes in those countries.
The talk covers smaller topics as well related to taxes like China’s Six Year Rule which has been in place since 2019, and the processes involved in declaring your taxes in China. You can skip to the specific topics of interest by using the Episode Breakdown below.
“How Expatriates Pay Taxes Abroad and in China?” Episode Breakdown
- China’s Current Tax Laws – (00:44)
- How Countries Define and Tax Non-resident Individuals – (01:45)
- General Tax Bureaux Strategies – (03:18)
- Challenges for Expatriates for Filing Annual Taxes in China – (05:54)
- Six Year Rule – (07:09)
- Process for Determining Taxable Income – (07:36)
- Keeping Track of Travels to Determine Where to Pay Tax – (09:39)
If you would like to ask specific questions regarding your current tax situation or need assistance to submit your annual tax in China or abroad please email us at email@example.com.